Old 25-07-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Garlic question

I've never grown garlic before.

Several cloves were put in the ground and all but one were dug up with nice
healthy bulbs. There were no flowers, just leaves.

The odd one out grew what I thought was a flower stem with a large paper
covered 'bud'.

The 'bud' grew a long tapered green shaft.

Leaves and shaft have turned brown. The paper covering is white. The stem is
still greenish but is fading. The paper covering has burst open and revealed
a cluster of what look like tiny garlic cloves. They taste wonderful!

When I saw the 'bud' I expected an allium-like flower.

Now I have to decide what to do with the tiny cloves. Part of me says I
should eat them but I wondered if I could plant them and have a forest of
plants.

If I can plant them should I do it now or wait? How should I cultivate them?

You all probably know exactly what I've described but if not here's a
picture, http://i7.tinypic.com/20zzmty.jpg

and my thanks in advance.

Mary