Old 26-07-2006, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

wrote:

here in Wisconsin I grow asian pears, peaches, apricots, cherries, vine kiwi,
berries, grapes and figs without spray. I live in the city and am flanked by two
huge apple trees some ass planted in their back yards. thankfully (I have a koi
pond) they dont bother spraying the trees and the apples are inedible. It is
impossible to grow fruit without pesticides if neighbors have unattended fruit trees
that act as a breeding ground for pests. I hear down in Florida they are finally
getting the idea and cutting down people's unattended or diseased back yard fruit
trees.

Curious. Who determines if they are unattended? Do the owners have a say in this?
Diseased trees can sometimes be recovered. Sounds like a big invasion of personal
property.

Sherwin D.

I do use dormant spray, and it looks like I am going to have to use some
fungicide on a peach that is infected. but what I do is treat a single tree, like
the cherry this spring. cleanliness is absolutely necessary, and making sure the
place where the stock is bought is clean so trees dont come in infected and spread
disease to the other trees too. Ingrid