Old 26-07-2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

Jangchub wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:35:20 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

There is no such animal as an organic fruit! There are some varieties that
are inherently disease resistant. Unfortunately, they are not always the
best
tasting choice.

Patently incorrect. I grow peaches organically and they are the most
mouth watering, perfect fruits around. The trouble with annual
production is that in Texas we may not get enough chill hours for
fruit. So, it's not a great idea to make a statement that no such
animal as an organic fruit. It's inaccurate.

What I should have said that there are organically grown fruits, but no organic
fruits.

Do a search for a catalog called Garden's
Alive. They give excellent photos of diseases of fruits and the
organic remedy.

Some of their products are ok, but some is just a lot of hype. Many of their

'cures' are quite expensive. You pay a high price to go organic.

Sherwin D.

I didn't say to buy any of them, but that there are great photos in
their catalog of diseased and pests associated with fruits. I also
don't know where you get the idea going organic is more expensive.
It's useless to debate, your mind is made up.

Have you checked the prices in Garden Alive's catalog for pheremone
lures. It would cost a fortune to cover anyone with more than just a
handfull of trees. If you take all those photos as the gospel, well I can't
help that. Commercially, it is also more expensive when you consider the
attrition rate of damaged fruit vs. the cost to grow it. Maybe that is why
the consumer pays inflated prices for organically grown fruit and vegetables
at the store.

Sherwin D.