Old 26-07-2006, 03:09 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

Found one of these (walking sticks) on my front porch today. No, not the
type that you use as a cane, but the insect - a good 8 inches long. I
flicked it off into the bushes (with a broom!). He really didn't resist
much - really, not at all. Let me flip him on his back even, I wonder if he
was close to dead? Or do they "play possum?"

Pic of the beast in question can be found he
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/raven_...dnm=38e3scd.jp
g&.src=ph

My father tells the story about when he was cleaning up some brush around
the garage into a box and somehow picked up a "nest" of them. Apparently
they were reaaaallly mad and went after him. I'm pretty sure I was there -
I seem to remember him defending himself with a shovel while one of them
literally went after it, hitting it repeatedly with the end of it's abdomen,
curled up like a scorpion.

A search online doesn't reveal much. So how dangerous are these creatures?
Anyone have any stories? Do I need to be nervous in the garden now?

TIA,
Julie

Walking sticks are harmless insect predators and are NOT aggressive...
Leave the poor things alone please?

They are no more dangerous than a preying mantis.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson