Old 26-07-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

Found one of these (walking sticks) on my front porch today. No, not the

Walking sticks are harmless insect predators and are NOT aggressive...
Leave the poor things alone please?

They are no more dangerous than a preying mantis.

Oh trust me, I'm a bug lover. I wouldn't have even bothered him had he not
been right where I might put my hand on the door frame.

It seems there are some varieties in the south that will spray an "acrid
fluid" that can damage your eyes when disturbed
(http://www.texasento.net/sticks.htm). But looking at the pics from that
site that doesn't seem to be my variety.

Well he now has a new home in my bushes, so hopefully he'll find a meal or
two.

I am still interested in hearing from others about any personal "run-ins"
they've had - just because I want to see if anyone had an aggressive
experience with them like my father (who is a bug lover too). I know they
should be passive, but, his weren't.

Julie

Either that or what attacked him were not walking sticks.
I have a close friend that was attacked as a child by a swarm of locusts.
She had bites all over her. She's been terrified of large grasshoppers
all of her life since that incident.

I've seen some pretty big grasshoppers.

Your dad also could have been telling a tall tale. ;-)
No offense meant.

I've played with many a walking stick as I find them to be rather
fascinating. So far, no harm, no foul.
--
Peace!
Om