Old 26-07-2006, 03:50 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gary Brady Gary Brady is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

marcesent wrote:

A search online doesn't reveal much. So how dangerous are these creatures?
Anyone have any stories? Do I need to be nervous in the garden now?
TIA,

Julie

They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe
that it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good
part of my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I
believed that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX