Old 26-07-2006, 03:55 AM posted to austin.gardening
marcesent marcesent is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
marcesent wrote:
They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe that
it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good part of
my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I believed
that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

Julie