Old 26-07-2006, 05:19 AM posted to austin.gardening
Celeste Evans Celeste Evans is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

In article , marcesent
wrote:

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...

For all the stories, I've never seen one spit.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

A-HA! I found the Texas A&M Entomology discussion on the topic:

http://insects.tamu.edu/fact_fiction/walkingstick.cfm

Apparently they can cause spray injuries: "However, Jackman notes that if
disturbed the native species, A. buprestoides, is reported to be capable of
causing temporary eye injury in one study. Furthermore, we have had a few
contacts from the public that provided testimonials that they have been
sprayed with a caustic substance or were even temporarily blinded. The
entomologist advises, "The best thing to do if you encounter a walkingstick
is to leave it alone. "

I'm sure that the "spit devil" thing started with that - and then grew into
an urban legend.

Also says that they don't eat other bugs - they eat leaves.

Interesting article. I'll be leaving the sticks alone - and at peace.

Julie

Well, I have seen one spit. We had a cat many years ago in Baton Rouge
that was "playing" with a spit devil like cats play with lizards. The
spit devil did spit in her eye this caused her to shake her head and
look a bit stunned. Then she promptly squashed it and ate it. This was
the biggest walking stick I have ever seen. So I was curious about it
and watched the whole thing. I have never seen one do such a thing
before or since. I would say that the insect was provoked.

Cea