Old 26-07-2006, 05:32 AM posted to austin.gardening
Scott Sexton Scott Sexton is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

Snip

Well, I have seen one spit. We had a cat many years ago in Baton Rouge
that was "playing" with a spit devil like cats play with lizards. The
spit devil did spit in her eye this caused her to shake her head and
look a bit stunned. Then she promptly squashed it and ate it. This was
the biggest walking stick I have ever seen. So I was curious about it
and watched the whole thing. I have never seen one do such a thing
before or since. I would say that the insect was provoked.

Cea

I have also seen a Walking Stick spray. We were down in Port Aransas
and there was a large one on the side of the walkway. Our dog decided
to check it out and when it got too close the Walking Stick sprayed her.
It didn't seem to harm the dog any, though she did smell a little weird
for a couple of days, even after swimming at the beach and a couple of
baths.

I've also smelled the same smell on my hands after handling these at
other times. So far, no permanent damage. :-)

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com