Old 16-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default mini phals

Some of the "newer" discoveries from China, Vietnam and India are small - I
have a mature Phal. stobartiana that's got 3" leaves. Phal. chibae is
another little one.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
Now i'm confused...Are there any true mini phals??? both in flower
size and in plant compactness?

Rajiv

"Gareth Wills" wrote in message

I fully agree. My equestris hybrids include Be Tris, Three Times a Lady

and
Blue Too all of which have leaf spans over 10". They start blooming when
small and blooms are small but plentiful on bloom stems (semi-pendulous)
reaching 2 1/2-3'. I'd hardly call them mini's.
Gary

"Jim Landers" wrote in message
I guess it depends upon what you consider a "minature", rajiv. It's

true
equestris
has small flowers. But I have four of them, and the smallest wingspan

is
12 inches. The largest plant has a wingspan of 18 inches, which I

don't
consider
a "minature". Compared to really large Phals, that may constitute a

"mini",
but I usually think of mini in terms of Mini Cattleyas that are

several
times smaller than a regular sized Cattleya.

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to everyone who answered my earlier query about phal species.
Now i read that phal equestris hybrids are usually miniature in size
and free blooming. I think it would be great if i could get some

mini
phals to add to my collection, as i live under severe space
restrictions.

Any suggestions for sources of mini phals. Browsing through the
vendor's websites does not give much idea about plant size and its
parentage.

rajiv