Old 19-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer?

(David Wee) wrote:

the problem is with the much-lauded NutraFin (Hagen)
"3-dimensional" diffuser.

[...]
the bubbles sometimes lose their "momentum" and just
stop at a random place along its upward path

[...]
Either I need to start greasing the ramps with a
little bit of cooking oil, or I think I need a new
diffuser. Suggestions? (i'm half serious about greasing
the diffuser).

You're not far off with the grease idea, in my experience. How new is
your diffuser setup? For about the first week after I started mine, I
had the same thing you describe - bubbles sticking and piling up
instead of moving and diffusing.

However, after a week or so, this quit happening. I can only assume
that some process 'greased' the track. This is supported by a recent
bit of cleaning I did (I had cabomba fragments all over) where I poked
at the diffuser a bit with a sponge - I had bubble jams again for a
day or two.

Certainly you could look into some of the other diffusers available to
you, though I doubt you'll find another commercially made one as cheap
as the Hagen. Maybe try one of the DIY designs that are available on
the web.

--
www.ericschreiber.com