Old 26-07-2006, 03:26 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] is offline

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
marcesent wrote:
They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe that
it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good part of
my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I believed
that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ubMed&list_uid
s=11150287&dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

Julie

Ever had a horned lizard spit blood at you from it's eyes?
It's rare, but I did have it happen a couple of times when I was a kid.
They play dead too after they do it.

It's freaky, and it stains your shirt. G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson