Old 27-07-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit WRabbit is offline

Default Horse Chestnut

In an island bed surrounded by footpaths there is a horse chestnut. At 3
points the roots are near the surface and have caused the tarmac (council)
paths to break up.

Came out the house this morning to see the yellow markings around 2 of those
points indicating they're planning on fixing the footpath. The only way I
think they can fix the footpath would be to cut through the roots, as it's
the roots that are the problem.

Is this going to affect the stability of the tree? The tree is about 20-30
feet high, and has a large canopy. As we're in Scotland we do get the
occasional strong 'breeze'.

I've put a call into the council to ask this - hopefully they've considered
the implications (if any) - but thought I'd ask the FOAK before they called
me back. I'd hate for the tree to disappear, but I'd hate for it to land in
my garden, or even worse one of my neighbours houses.