Old 27-07-2006, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Choosing companies to do garden work

On 27/7/06 14:04, in article
, "VX"
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:46:43 +0100, Derek wrote
(in message ):

Hello all

We need various things doing in our garden that we simply don't have
time to do. We need a new lawn laying, some fencing and decking done, a
pond building and a shed moving.

Gardening companies in Yellow pages seem to provide some of the services
but not others and we don't really know where to start, we just want to
find someone who can do it all.

Is there a specific category in Yellow Pages we should be looking for or
does anyone know of companies that can provide this sort of thing. We're
in Stockport.

This isn't an answer to your question, but in case you are not already aware
of this, there have been a number of TV programs over the years such as Rogue
Traders demonstrating how just picking a firm out of the Yellow Pages
according to their self-description and claimed skills may result in very
seriously botched jobs, being ripped off, and worse. Any cowboy can put an ad
in the YP, and many do. My suggestion: a personal recommendation is the only
way to be safe.

I certainly agree with not picking someone at random from Yellow Pages. I'd
advise going to a local nursery or garden centre and asking them for a
recommendation or even just a name as a start. We get quite a few
landscapers/garden designers/gardeners asking us to pass on their details to
enquiring customers and we've succeeded in giving work to quite a few of
them. If we know their work, we say so and ditto, if we don't! However you
pick your workers, ask them for references from others who have employed
them and go to have a look if the garden owners will agree to that. IME, if
one person doesn't do all the types of jobs you're hoping to get done, he or
she will know someone who does.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk