Old 27-07-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
McGerm McGerm is offline

Default Oak Seedlings

(Keith Babberney wrote
Hybrids? Possibly. Are these all willow oaks? possibly. though I
don't think so....
Oaks have a tendency to look like some other oak when this young. but
you seem to have three distinct species here, whether hybrid or not.
Just guessing, I'd say chinkapin, (maybe willow), shumard, shumard,
looking at your photo left to right. ....
Did the acorns all look alike? Generally, a shumard's acorns will all
look a lot like each other and not much like, say, a chinkapin's. So
Sorry not to offer a more definitive answer. To sum up, wait and see.
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

Thank you for the comments...The acorns I collected from Hershey Med
were all identical.

I was back up in Hershey yesterday and swung by to look at the tree
under which I took the acorns. The tree looks like a willow oak from
the leaves. There were no white oaks like the chinkapin around anywere
near the willow oak. There were some trees that could have been
shumard oaks, there were also ones that looked like northern red oak,
pin oaks, and a black oak. Among about 20 oaks there were only three
that were willow oak looking.

Hybrid or not, willow oak or not, I think I have some strong seedlings
worth planting. The two on the ends are now starting there third flush
of leaves!

Jim