Old 27-07-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] dazzhiggins@hotmail.com is offline

Default Marrow

Mike wrote:
A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

If you are quick, you can pass it on to someone else before you have to
eat it.
They are beautiful objects and sadly, more or less tasteless unless
stuffed with something very strong tasting and smothered in some kind
of sauce and even the, not really worth the effort.

I have eaten them with a kind of minced meat stuffing, stuck in over
for an hour or so (maybe less); covered in foil to stop it burning
initially and served with a tomato sauce that the thing was cooked in
and it tasted ok but not very thrilling. I have also tried vegetarian
recipes but there were not worth repeating. Delia gives a recipe but
I did not find it great.

Last night, I eat the opposite end of the marrow spectrum. Courgettes
the size of my index finger (slightly bigger), sliced lengthwise and
deepfried in simple, flour, water batter. Courgettes seem to be born
with a certain amount of taste and that taste gets diluted as they
increase in size.

Des in Gastronomic Dublin

www.rnshipmates.co.uk