Old 27-07-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones Neil Jones is offline

Default who loves nettles revisited

Rod Craddock wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I have just inspected all the nettles that I left to grow and there
does
not seem to be a great deal of insect life on them, disappointing to
say
the least, whats wrong with my nettles I would like to know :-) We
do
however have a huge number of gatekeeper butterfly`s so I must be
getting something right.
kate

Gate keepers do seem to be having a good season. I wonder if you left
the nettles in a dank dark corner? The butterflies that like nettles
are a bit choosy about the nettles but I've never worked out exactly
how they choose but it's usually not nettles in a dank dark place.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that one. We know that
biochemical cues in the plants lead to some being prefered. I certainly
have observed the same plants and bushes being chosen overy year with
certain species.

As for the nettles they should be in full sun. That at least helps.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/