Old 27-07-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default who loves nettles revisited

:
I have just inspected all the nettles that I left to grow and there does
not seem to be a great deal of insect life on them, disappointing to say
the least, whats wrong with my nettles I would like to know :-) We do
however have a huge number of gatekeeper butterfly`s so I must be
getting something right.
kate

The Gatekeepers food plants are grasses (various), so it's nice that you
have them, but probably nowt to do with the stingers.

Many thanks to you all who answered, I would love to go for a meadow but
I need the grazing so I must make do with what is left :-) I will cut
the nettles down later in the year, I dry them and mix them in our old
pony`s feed, she likes them and they are good for her. I will let them
grow again next year and I might get a better result, who knows :-)

kate