Old 28-07-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bamboo@localnet.com is offline

Default Moving young fruit trees

If it were me I'd move them in the early spring before the buds fatten.
If your winters are mild you might do it in the fall after the leaves
have dropped but I have more luck in zone 6 in early spring.
Any chance of dog legging your fence around them until then?

Zootal wrote:
I am putting up a fence around my backyard. I have 4 fruit trees that are 1
foot from the line where I'm putting the fence, and I'd like to move them.
They are semi-dwarf, and were planted just this last winter. They are about
6-8 feet tall but very sparse. Can I just dig them up and plant them
somewhere else, or should I wait until they are dorman. IOW, will it hurt
them to dig them up now and move them?