Old 28-07-2006, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant[_2_] ant[_2_] is offline

Default Grass gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

Just how much Poa do you want? You can stop by the roadside on the
way to Cooma and dig out as much Poa as you like.

true, and I have quite a bit of something which I THINK is Poa on my
place. Trouble is, my region is infested with Serrated Tussock, and
I'm buggered if i can tell the difference.

Serrated is very fine and will look almost purplish is you catch it in
a sideways light in Autumn when the seed heads are on it. Poa (in all
it's guisdes) is a much more robust beast. BTW, if you have got
serrated, get onto it in Spring or otherwise the mogrel will take over
your block and end up strangling you in your bed.

That's the paterson's curse! I spray it with everything going, and always
there's a few taht survive. There's about an acre of it, with the thistles,
just lurking and riding the frosts, waiting for it to warm up. I'm going to
hit it hard this spring, had enough of it.

The purple thing is what I always remember from the various info sheets
about Serrated. I just haven't seen it here, but still...
and it's so hard to nuke, it's a bit like bamboo.

Meanwhile, I very much like poa, especially snowgrass. The local nurseries
all flog the Blue Fescue, which worked well in my miniture version, but I
have aspirations to something a bit more exotic.

--
ant