Old 28-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Garlic question

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've had 'tree' onions in the past (I'd like some again!) but what I have
is
definitely garlic. I googled and found that the little bulbs are 'bulbils'

That's "topset" or "hardneck" garlic. One generally cuts off the scapes
that make bulbils to direct energy into the bulb. Depending on the
original size, it takes a planted bulbil two or more years to make a
regular garlic bulb. Planting the bulbils _is_ a good way to avoid
soil-borne diseases if that's a problem with the original stock.

There doesn't seem to be but I can wait :-)

Mary