Old 29-07-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Trying to Start a New Lawn

"bthiede" wrote:

I moved into my new house in May. The contractor tilled and put seed
down, but unfortunately I was gone a lot for the first few weeks so I
wasn't there to water/take care of the grass, so it didn't do well.
Also, I think the soil is pretty bad. Now I have some grass, but
mostly weeds and hard, rocky soil.
I sent a soil sample to be tested, but aside from the treatments to get
the soil right, what else do I need to do before planting?
I assume my best chance is to get rid of all the weeds and grass and
start fresh? Would the grass have any chance of forcing out the weeds
over time if I just overseeded?

First use the correct variety of grass seed.

For a heavily fertilized and watered lawn in full sun use several
varieties of blue grass in September.
For a heavily trafficked lawn, with sun or shade, wet or dry use tall
fescue in September.
For warm sunny climates use bermuda grass.

Since I live in PA, my preference is the easy to grow tall fescues. If
you plant it in September, it is hard to mess up. If you want to start
out weed-free, spray the present lawn with Roundup and plant the tall
fescue the next day. Adjust the pH before planting. Fertilize in
November.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman