Old 29-07-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty OrchidKitty is offline

Default Stranger in the Forest - Eric Hansen

Yes, I've read it too--got it for free when I worked for the publisher.
You might also like "In the Land of the Blue Poppies" by Frank Kingdon
Ward, which is an old book by a Brit plant hunter, and
"Running the Amazon" by Joe Kane.

K Barrett wrote:
I stuck with reading 'Stranger in the Forest' by Eric Hansen (of Orchid
Fever fame). As was stated previously, no orchids but a cracking good yarn.
If I was given to overstatement I'd say probably the best travel book I've
read. Beating out Chatwin's 'In Patagonia' even. If you ever get a chance
and the time is right I'd recommend it. I bought the book 3 or so years ago
and tried reading it a few times, but my mind wasn't in the right place.

I've met Eric Hansen once or twice and he's just some unprepossessing
fellow. You wouldn't look twice at him in a crowd. Sort of like Clark
Kent.

K Barrett