Old 29-07-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Moving young fruit trees

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:01:28 -0700, Persephone wrote:

You can move almost anything with TLC and understanding of the
specific plant's needs. A good nursery, or recourse to Western Garden
Book (or regional equivalent) can identify plants that don't like to
be moved. But I have even had luck moving clivia by removing some of
the crowded parts and transplanting them w/TLC.

If you post again, giving your region, we can offer more specific
advice,

Persephone

Moving any tree or large shrub in Texas (where I live) at this time of
year is certain death, no question.

The very best time to move any tree, any climate is when you'd plant
it originally. So, if fruit tree planting time is in the late winter,
that's when it would be good to move them. In areas where the ground
freezes, I suggest you dig the holes where you'll move the trees to
and fill the holes with leaves till you're ready to dig out the trees.
One other thing would make it easier, root prune the tree in early
fall with a shovel or sharp shooter so if the ground is frozen in late
winter you will not have too hard a time removing the tree from its
old location.