Old 29-07-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Clematis Viticella

On 29/7/06 08:56, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Where I tend to err is by not checking
carefully exactly what size some delectably photographed new-to-me plant
will be, so I end up with something that would fit on a pinhead when I
thought I was going to get a giant, or vice versa.

Well quite! Also been encouraged to buy plants that to some people are
'fragrant' yet to my mind they aren't!

Do you grow Clerodendron fargesii? The scent of that is lovely and it's a
late flowerer too which is a bonus.

Lots of clematis that I've seen in books look wonderful but in the
'flesh' they have insipid colour, you can't see the flowers for the
leaves or they aren't very strong growers. I realise it might be the
cultivation of them but as we start with flint clay and alkaline soil
then we need all the help we can get

One of the best with us is the climbing 'Polish Spirit'. It's a marvellous
purple and gives masses of flowers.

I did see a photograph of one that someone took on a 'planthunters'
holiday to Londonderry etc. The gardener who took the photo said it was
a herbaceous clematis called Prince William, very deep blue very strong
growth, quite tall and fragrant but I can't find it on the net at all.
Nearest is 'Konigen Wilhelmina' but the description doesn't quite fit
the photo.

Neither does the sex of the nominee!

If I scanned in the picture do you think a clematis expert could
identify it? Especially if I tell them the exact garden it was grown in?

Charlie! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk