Old 29-07-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed Matthew Reed is offline

Default My garden is out of control

I have learned a very important lesson this year - plant the plants further
apart!! My pumpkins have taken over everything within 15 feet. I have beans
I can't get at to harvest. I have tomatillos that are huge, I had no idea
they would get so big!

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4180.jpg

This is a typical shot. You can see a pumpkin bursting out of the corn, and
another one taking up what used to be a pathway I used to be able to use to
walk through the garden.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4137.jpg

With this shot, if you look to the upper right you see a mass of tomatoes.
The pic doesn't show it very well, but it's about 8 plants growing in a huge
mass that I can't hardly get around. I cut the suckers when I can, and am
just letting it grow. Suckers pop up out of the middle from somewhere down
inside, I have no idea where they come from lol. I don't know what to do
with it but just let it grow.

The center is a row of squash that is doing quite well. I thought I was
wasting space with the wide path to the left - now I can hardly walk through
it.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4108.jpg

This is what happens when you throw sunflower seeds into the garden. I cut
out most of them because nothing else wround them was getting any sun.

So - lesson learned. Wider rows. Give pumpkins a *lot* of room. Plant
tomatoes further apart. And space tomatillos ... maybe 3 feet apart?, mine
are just huge and have crowded out nearby tomatoes and peppers.