Old 30-07-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

Curious what part of the country you are in.

Rather than growing too much
fruit for your needs and having to put up with spoiled fruit, because you don't
want
to spray with chemicals, I offer another possibility. Plant fruit trees on M27
rootstock, which will produce a small tree about 6 to 8 feet high with a small
production capacity. You can even throw a net over such a small tree and reduce

the attacks from insects. If you have no fungus problems, consider yourself
lucky.
Check out Gene Yale's posting on www.midfex.org where he has filled his small
city yard with these miniature trees.

Sherwin D.

Arborsmith wrote:

I have had good success without using pesticides at all. 5 kinds of
apples I always get more good ones than my family can eat. Asian pears
do fine. The peaches that are resistant to leaf curl are the only ones
that have done well. Plums, cherries, grapes galore I wish something
would start eating them, always have way to many to pick. I suggest
just trying to grow everything that you want and see what does the best
in the long run remember some years one kind of fruit with do the best
and another year something else is the champ. Verity is the key to good
production.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com