Old 30-07-2006, 04:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M Vivek.M is offline

Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:11:42 +0100, "Robert" wrote:
Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Rob, that doesn't sound right! "The immune system recognizes vaccine
agents as foreign, destroys them, and 'remembers' them." - Wiki.
Trouble is, this memory isn't perfect and needs constant reminding
every so many years..A persons ability to handle tetanus toxoids
depends on a lot of things like age/size-of-wound/levels-of-
clostridium/ levels-of-antibodies-in-blood-stream.

Actually i dont quite understand what the big fuss is all about - It's
a no brainer to me. I take my shot every 5 years and i keep my immune
system up-to-date (sort of like updating my PC's anti-virus *grin*) I
then get a license to root about, and roll around, in the mud all i
want.

I'd be glad to write a short reminder for URG so that newbies to
gardening are aware about the periodic tetanus shot requirement.