Old 30-07-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
SallyJ SallyJ is offline
Registered User

Location: Basingstoke
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Clearly there are differences in UK and US recommendations. I worked
with NHS managers for several years and had the opportunity to discuss
vaccination policy with many clinicians. Although I totally accept
that economic decisions are a reality in today's NHS, I believe that
virtually all GPs will advise their patients on the basis of what is
correct clinically even if the NHS will not pay (for example many
travel vaccinations are only available privately). The following
website contains articles by GPs both for the general public and other
GPs.

The advice on tetanus is broadly that if someone has been through the
full UK child immunisation programme (they receive 3 shots as a baby,
another as part of the pre-school booster and another as part of the
school-leaver vaccination) then they do not normally require any
further tetanus vaccination (unless they are travelling to some place
where medical attention will not be available). However the child
vaccination programme only began in the UK in 1961 so some older adults
may not have been fully vaccinated.

You may find these of interest

info for patients from Patient UK website
- http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/
info for GPs from Patient UK website
- http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024824/
detailed info for clinicians (from "Green Book") -
http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/11/78/31/04117831.pdf