Old 30-07-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| You said, above, that the UK source of soil-borne tetanus spores,
| had dried up over a century ago. That is what I (and the websites
| quoted) refute.

No, they don't. They hint that it is wrong, but don't state it.

For example, the claim that spores are found in soil rich in manure
(a) might be based on old data, a commonly repeated myth, or data
from other countries or (b) be due to ingested spores passing through
intact and being concentrated in the manure.

Also, I did not say that. I said that my understanding was that it
is the case. I am aware that it might be wrong, but so far I have
seen nothing beyond vague implications that it might be. That is all
those Web sites do.

| Look up clostridium difficile; which is gut borne and causes gut
| problems in humans (does not produce the symptoms of "lockjaw" tetanus).
| It makes far more people ill than tetanus (in the UK) and is on the
| increase.

Why do you think I said what I said? "The reason that I am uncertain is
that other Clostridium species are common gut bacteria, ...."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.