Old 30-07-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Advice on shredders, please

"Sla#s" wrote
Bob Williams wrote:
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that
are constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a
shredder, obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with
some woody branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or
two seasons. Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

AlKo Silent power - had it about five years.
I fill five compost bins a year.
Replaced the nylon roller last year when it stopped fully cutting
through small twigs. Otherwise no problems.
Very quite running.
Cuts branches up to about 1 1/4". The only thing it doesn't like is
hawthorn.

Seconded! Brilliant machines. Mine's also several years old now, but has
just steadily crunched its way through everything up to 45mm diameter,
twigs and leaves as well, from a mature sycamore which had to be
removed. Lovely large binful of compostable chippings now heating up
well.

--
Sue