Old 31-07-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Arborsmith Arborsmith is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

I'm in Southern Oregon.
I try to give away everything that will go bad, but it's a tough job
when all my friends and neighbors also have extra.
There is no secret about the apples, sure some years I don't get any
of certain verities but some other tree or branch of different tree
will do great. I like multi verities on one tree. I just prune, thin
um out when they're thick. I avoid using dwarf rootstock as it has
been determined that the longevity and hardiness are limited due the
virus they contain.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

I offer another possibility. Plant fruit trees on M27
rootstock, which will produce a small tree about 6 to 8 feet high with a small
production capacity. You can even throw a net over such a small tree and reduce