Old 31-07-2006, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
David David is offline

Default Lawnmower Re-Starting Problem

Hello Bob,

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:33:06 UTC, "Robert11" wrote:

Hi,

My son doesn't live in the area, so I can't go down there and offer any
advice first hand.
Also, he's pretty non-mechanical.

Anyway, he has a Toro walk behind lawnmower purchased last year, so it's
pretty new. It's the kind you squeeze the handle, and it moves.
Pretty typical kind; bought at HD.

Anyway, it always starts just fine.
But after a 1/2 hour or so, just about every time, it shuts off.
Won't re-start (while hot).
Plenty of gas and oil.

I have perhaps the same Toro mower from Home Depot. The first start
is usually pretty easy. My yard tends to be wet in places and if I
don't catch it in time the engine will stall from the wet grass.
I have the mulcher on. Restarts on the yard can be difficult;
there is sometimes just enough drag when you are tired that it
won't restart. I just take it to the driveway to restart it.
Also, suggest that he not use the primer for restarting unless
he has pulled several times without a start. Too much gas
makes it hard to start and takes several pulls to get the
correct mix.

But when trying again when cold after a few days, it starts just fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong ?

Any hints on getting it to re-start while very warm ?

If it is heat related, perhaps a fifteen minute break would help.
I'll usually check the gas and oil while cold and haven't tried
that while hot. I don't know if the other posters suggestion
about a clogged air hole is helpful.

Also, if the mower is a year old he should be on his second
oil change. The first is after a couple hours of run time
and recommended yearly after that.

i don't think there is any Carb lever on these models like for full-choke,
half-choke, etc. Are there ?

Nope. Just a bulb on the side to prime it for a cold start.

Thanks,
Bob

A neighbor of your son's could perhaps spot a problem for him.

Good luck,

David