Old 30-07-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Well, that was nice.....

On 30/7/06 18:33, in article , "Peter
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep
down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I
do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?

Here at the canalshop we finally ran out of stored rainwater (reserved for
fruit and veg only) at the beginning of this week.
We are now on mains usage at the rate of 150 gals per day to keep things
ticking over.
The ornamentals are looking sad but I don't believe in general garden
watering (postage stamps excepted !!)

I too hate the wind - but refreshing breezes are very welcome when you
emerge from the glasshouse, after a watering session in temps over 100 F .

Ha! Tell me about it. I'm lucky in that I don't *have* to spend all day ,
every day in the greenhouses but those who do, are very grateful for a bit
of cooler weather. As to watering the garden, well it's all part of the
nursery and its business so it certainly does get watered with spray lines
but only when essential. Lately, 'essential' has struck.
Tonight, the wind has gone and the temp is comfortably cooler than last week
but certainly not approaching 'cold'. I'd say that it's a little like
coming back from a Med. holiday into a normal British summer temp. and the
very slight 'shock' of change that produces.
As to water use, well - in hot weather with no rain and broadly speaking, it
takes four people near on 2 hours to water inside, outside, and a very small
part of the garden, each morning. It's one of my favourite things around
the nursery, though. Early morning watering is a wonderful time and it's
replicated in thousands of small gardens all over UK. There is something
truly magical about that time of day, IMO - all is silent here except for
birdsong and occasionally, a passenger balloon flying overhead (very few
this year) and I just love the slightly secretive, private feel the place
has at e.g. 7am. Of course, the downside is that the water bill is
horrendous!
--
Sacha