Old 31-07-2006, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter C Peter C is offline

Default Rotten runner beans

Broadback wrote:
My runner beans, up to now, are very disappointing, they look just like
the tail end of the crop instead of the start. down to lack of rain I
suppose.

'Yes' I have two areas where I grow runner beans. The first near the
greenhouse I have watered daily during this very hot and dry spell. The
beans are ready in abundance and providing you pick them before they
get too large are very enjoyable ( when cooked)
In another part of the garden I planted others and neglected watering
them. The flowers have set and beans have formed, but they are deeper
green colour and are slightly brown on the edges . Not as nice when
cooked, a bit stringy

Water is the answer.(experts say, every day if necessary)
Peter.