Old 31-07-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

Arborsmith wrote:

I avoid using dwarf rootstock as it has
been determined that the longevity and hardiness are limited due the
virus they contain.

I agree that dwarf rootstocks do not live as long as standard ones, but I'm
experiencing dwarf and semi-dwarf life times of over 15 years. At my age,
planting a dwarf tree will probably be going strong when I check into the
home for retired gardeners.

Where did you get that cockamamy idea that dwarf trees contain viruses
that result in their short life times? There are dwarfing rootstocks that are
sold as virus free selections. The reduced lifetime is probably due to the
smaller root system of these dwarf trees.

Sherwin D.

Richard Reames
http://www.arborsmith.com

I offer another possibility. Plant fruit trees on M27
rootstock, which will produce a small tree about 6 to 8 feet high with a small
production capacity. You can even throw a net over such a small tree and reduce