Old 31-07-2006, 08:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Davy Davy is offline

Default Pond Shelves - 2nd Question

Sean,

thanks for the concern regarding froglets clambering up a hot beach - I am
quite a wimp myself on pebble beaches. Should be OK here in Wiltshire,
England cos it doesn't get too hot, the pond is shaded for much of the day
and the water level will come half way up the beach.
We used to have a fountain in the middle of a paved patio. Every year frogs
and newts breed in the fountain and froglets would hop out on hot sunny days
and cross the hot stone patio (too hot for bare human feet) without any
apparent harm.

thanks

Davy

"sean mckinney" wrote in message

I am not sure that a pebble beach is the best idea for a wildlife pond,
froglets and presumably other young amphibians stick, very quickly, to
hot dry concrete, they then dehydrate and die, I would be concerned
that they would sure the same fate when clmbering over hot dry pebbles.
I turfed around my wildlife pond. Where I put my wildlife pond there is
a slight slope and I had to raise 3 sides of the pond via a soil levee
on those sides. The turf covered the levees and the levees prevent run
off from any significant area of ground entering the pond. Along the
4th side of the pond there is no signifcant area of ground level with
of above the pond so there is no run off into the pond.
My plant pond is also raised via levees and these too have been turfed
over and the arrangement doent look odd to my eye. Its also a good way
of using up the digging spoil

--
sean mckinney