Old 19-03-2003, 07:20 AM
David Wee

Default DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer?

Currently the Nutrafin generator is giving out a bubble just over a
second. I posted to sci.chem under the thread labled "CO2 generation via
Yeast + Alcohol removal methods", hoping to find if there was a method
where you could have yeast multiply but then remove the alcohol.
They were all pretty informative, but the two most relevant posts were
something about "Turbo Yeast" which has a proven signficiantly higher
tolerance to alcohol than any other yeasts, and the other post was about
removing 80 to 90% of the mix after it slows down and just replenishing it
with sugar water. Could someone explain more about that? There seems to be
three parts to the mixtu the top froth, the middle highly aqueous
layer, and the bottom layer mush. SOmeone may care to check out that
thread on sci.chem.

Okay, so yesterday's pH reading was 7.5 (it has been at 7.5 historically),
and after one day of CO2 via not quite DIY Hagen/Nutrafin CO2, the pH is
now 6.9.

I also dropped on kH from 4 to 3 degrees. According to Chuck Gadd's chart,
(ph 7, kh 3), I have 9 ppM CO2 in my water. So I added a teaspoon of
crushed coral into my aquaclear sponge area, hoping to push teh kH back
from 3 up to at least 3.5. Is this a correct procedure?

I expect by morning the pH will be soemwhere around 6.8, but we'll see.

To eric: Yeah, the traffic bubble jam has stopped and the bubbles have
been going fine now. I secretly love my Nutrafin purchase. That gray
bottle looks nice.