Old 31-07-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Well, that was nice.....

In article , jane
writes

We got some serious rain this past week (at last!). One massive
thunderstorm last Wednesday (28mm of rain in half an hour!) followed
on Thursday by another, lighter one (10mm) and then a further 4mm on
both Thursday night and Saturday night. After the first 38mm, I went
to my allotment and found the soil dampened to about 9" which was
fantastic. It's perked up a lot of plants!

Not 3 miles away in Amersham. We had the cloudbursts okay and the rain
all day for one day but we have missed the previous weeks odd occasional
storms and the water hasn't even penetrated the mulch of shredding on
the top of my beds. I think the rain is very localised!

Beans looks very sorry for themselves , well runners anyway, climbing
ones doing really well as are French though they seem t be over quickly.
Potatoes not too bad and tomatoes have started to romp away in last
fortnight after billions of gallons of water on them from watering cans
(ell it seemed like billions by the time I'd scooped the water out of
the rain barrels at the top of the garden)

Carrots not o too bad but peas have gone over quickly so sowing crop of
early ones to catch before frosts according to Big Dig programme.

If things doesn't encourage us to move westward - nothing will! Though I
may well go armed with a printout of rain fall by the met office as I
feel Amersham's weather has declared its own dry state, storms seem to
circle us then nip off up the road with the water.

Dorneywood is suffering so John Prescott's croquet lawn isn't doing too
well by the look of it on Saturday

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy