Old 31-07-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_1_] Alan Holmes[_1_] is offline

Default Advice ref: protection for Cabbage/Cauliflowers please

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from contains these words:

Hello,
Once again I am plagued by the cabbage white butterfly laying eggs on
my cabbages & Cauliflowers! I'm loosing them left, right & centre.
Can anyone reccommend a really good 'treatment' to keep the
Butterflies away from my plants please?
Any 'sprays' or 'powder' or 'other' treatment?

Instead of worrying about the butterflies, focus on their eggs and
caterpillars, which are far easier to deal with.

A quick check under leaves will show the "dotty" inch-wide patches of
eggs; just rip the patch out of the leaf and dispose of them. If it's
too late for that and they have hatched into caterpillars, you can
either, pick off the affected leaf sections before the newly hatched
caterpillars spread; pick off larger caterpillars by hand (or pay kids
to hunt them); or, copiously water the plant with salty water. Brassicas
thrive in coastal situations because they are so tolerant of salt;
caterpilars hate it.

Never thought of using salt water to deter the beggars, thanks.

The trouble is, by next year I'll have forgotten you said that!

Alan