Old 31-07-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Do Wasps Cause Damage

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Yes it's that time of year again.
Our house seems to be the preferred holiday destination for all wasps in
the East Riding!

Hmm. I think that's just a bit of an exaggeration. OK, a LOT of an
exaggeration!

Having had problems with wasps in the main house loft a couple of years
ago, I have been watching the eaves closely for signs of wasp entry and
spraying with nest destroyer to discourage them.

That's a shame.

BAD NEWS, my surveys missed our new single storey pitched roof at the back
and they are having to flight-stack on approach there are so many going in
and out.
But.....this loft is not needed for storage or for maintenance access, it
has fixed wiring feeds only and no plumbing.

So, if I just leave them, do they eat any materials in the loft space?

No.

Cables? Wooden Rafters? Insulation, roof or cavity wall? Lightweight
blocks or bricks?

NO.

Any other way they can damage the fabric of our new build?

No.

And all the wasps but the new queens will die this autumn, the nest won't be
re-used so you'll be able to cut it out and examine the marvellous
structure. The new queens will hibernate somewhere else until spring when
they'll make new nests - the few which survive that is.

I guess that you haven't been stung, that you're just frightened because one
MIGHT sting you? Relax, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Enjoy
the summer, there are much worse things around.

Mary