Old 31-07-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default fig query

Sacha wrote:
On 31/7/06 16:05, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:
snip
Has anyone here who is growing or has grown fig trees successfully to
the point of producing fruit any advice on dos and don'ts?
TIA

Last autumn, my step son cut down our fig tree right back to the base where
it disappears under stone flags in a courtyard. There's wasn't one leaf to
be seen. This year it's over 5' tall but isn't going to fruit. However,
normally, it fruits very well in this sheltered and sunny spot. I hope you
haven't over-potted them, though? Too big a pot can mean too much wet
compost just slopping around the roots and rotting them off. That said, fig
trees grow very quickly so they might well grow into their new homes fast.
--

Ahem. You may have a point... The very uninformative label which came
with the wee trees said "mini 10 l pot". Now, to be frank, I went well