Old 16-02-2003, 05:27 PM
myk

Default Help - Indoor Bamboo

Hi there. I have just received a shipment two weeks ago of my first
bamboo. I have a Pseudosasa Japonica and a Sasaella Masamuncana which I
intend to grow indoors until summer gets here.

The plants arrived wrapped in plastic in dark well moistened earth from
British Columbia (I'm in Kingston, Ontario). At first they seemed a bit
stressed but were green. I followed the directions to keep them out of
direct light and not to water for a bit. Within a few days the tips of
the leaves browned so I started misting (with subzero temperatures
outdoors, it is quite dry here). The plants seemed to like this at first
but the browning has now continued to the edges. The Japonica has
developed brown and yellow patches on the leaves. The soil seems moist
to the touch and an electronic gauge says all is well. Still, the plants
are looking awful and I would hate to lose them.

Any ideas?

Mike