Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens
Joshua Putnam Joshua Putnam is offline

Default Tetanus Shots - Important !

In article ,
says...
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

2 years ago - broken shoulder, tetanus shot. 12 years ago broken
collarbone, tetanus shot. 8 years from now - who knows? Probably
break an arm or leg this time, and get another tetanus shot

Just out of curiousity, why would a broken bone require a tet shot?
Were they compound fractures? Tet shots aren't routinely given for
things that do not break the skin, AFAIK.

Road rash. In both cases there was a bit of missing skin. I fell off
my bicycle (both times in my own parking lot, go figure) while moving
slowly, but hit hard enough to break the bone and take off a small
patch of skin.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...ulder/images/D
SCF1060.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...ulder/images/D
SCF1078.jpg.

So the tet shot was for the skin injury, not the break. We don't want
anyone going around thinking they got inadequate care because they didn't
get a tet shot for a broken bone, right?

You had me worried there -- when I broke both arms in a cycling
accident, I didn't get a tet shot, just the usual casts on both arms.
But no road rash in that accident, my gloves protected my hands and the
pavement wasn't bad enough to rip through my jersey as I rolled.

But I did get a tet update after finding an old garbage pit on my
property while planting the garden. Mixed broken glass, shards of
pottery, and old rusty cans.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/