Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark[_1_] Mark[_1_] is offline

Default I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California?

Thanks, Anna!

I am in South California.
I am not sure if I do the right thing, but it seems that most I am
going to looze is about $1.50 in seeds. Now if it works, I will
somewhere in 2-3 weeks have a seedlings to plant outside. I
experimented with cucumber seeds, tomato seeds, and parsley seeds.

I have tried this weekend to srtart the seeds.
I have found on Internet something that tells how.
This is how:

1. I take old newspaper.
2. cut a strip of paper about 4 inches wede and about 2 feet long.
3. Wrap paper around a cup.
4. Stick loose end of paper in the cup hole.
5. Take out the cup.
6. Now I have made a cup from paper.
7. fill it up with little of soil mix (bought from store--seed starting
soil). Make sooil mix little wet.
8. Stick a seed in the soil. Not very deep. about 4 width deep.
9. put cups on a trau.
10. Cover ray with plastic bag.
11. Let it stay inside the house.

Anna wrote:
I don't know if there is time for them to produce this year. But I always
start from seed here in Oregon. I just poke them in the ground and give
lots of water. But I plant them toward the end of may or first of June,
depending on the weather. They are just now starting to produce.

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to
experiment. Can I do it now in South California?

I have got the seeds from Gurneys.
What is the better and most sure way to do it?

I have a lot of empty plastic cups, paper cups, etc, etc,
Can I do it with just these siupplies, without buying anything?