Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove Bruce Musgrove is offline

Default Repotting help

Not experienced enough to "not do" any thing at this time So far I
have been trying bark and Sphagnum (so called "pal " mixes from home depot,
with added sphagnum )mixes simply because they seem to dry out to fast with
straight bark and I do not remember to water until the weekends!!!!! So far
it seems to be working good as most of the plants have several new shoots
and keiki's on them. Only two of the 10 or so are not doing well in it.
Thos may very well be victims of dividing for my first time.

Thank you for your advice

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
As both are apparently in bloom, I wouldn't repot now unless that first
plant (with the dead leaves - just pull them off) is in such badly
decomposed medium that it's an immediate "must".

In the case of that one, when you do unpot it, you'll likely find a brown
"stump" with few- to no viable roots. I would trim off any root structure
that looks suspicious, and repot about an inch deeper than it currently
is, submerging the lower of the aerial roots and leaving the upper ones
right at the surface.

I agree with Sue on the one with the apparent basal growth. The moss, by
the way, looks OK in the photo, so unless you "don't do" sphagnum, it may
not need to be repotted yet.

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
2 more orchids fresh from home depot. I am really not sure how to go
about repotting these two as I have never gotten one with root growth
structures like this. Both of these are currently in 6 inch pots

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot1.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot.jpg On this one, I assume cut off
the yellow leaves and then maybe repot up to the level of the lowest
leaf?

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot3.jpg
IN this one it looks like 4 younger leaves at the soil level , then abare
area with a whole lot of roots(?) coming out, then a lot of more mature
leaves This is a Dtps Brother Vanessa Hannay "Deleon #1" if it makes any
difference at all. Just repot at the leve l of the lower leaves?