Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default Repotting help

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:34:06 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

Thos may very well be victims of dividing for my first time.

Best divide advice I can give a newcomer - Make the plant twice as big
and you think it needs to be. Most of us will only divide a Catt when
it has about 10 growths so that each division will be GUARANTEED 4
good growths. Then if one of the growths is damaged ( new eye smashed
- yes it happens) or cane or bulb broke off on it's own, there is
enough material to still have 2 viable plants.

If I just MUST keep a plant to a size limit - I will cut off the
oldest bulb with the idea it is going in the trash. I know that the
plant will not bloom to the potential it might have with the extra
boost I just threw out. The only good reason to go less than 4
growths is to get ahead of rot in an attempt to save a plant that was
in danger of dying.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids