Old 31-07-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Edible Gingers?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what variety of Ginger is commonly sold in the shops?
Are the rhizomes of any Ginger plant edible?
With all the sun even my gingers have done very well and I sense a good
munching session in a few months time.

I'd like to know how you did it, please. The only ones I've seen growing
were in very steamy hothouses in Suffolk.

Mary

You need to move a few miles nearer the Gulf stream like me:-)

The rhizomes from the supermarket only seem to produce quite small (1foot )
plants and do not seem to bulk up particularly well, hence my question about
the commercial variety.
Cautleya spicata , Hedychium forrestii and H.gardnerianum are three that I
am growing.
The forrestii was about six feet tall but the wind snapped the top off
today.
Although I am fairly confident about overwintering the two Hedychium I don't
think they would make much growth in the short growing season.
The best technique is to start the rhizomes off very early in the year on a
heated mat/bench and plant out when they have made good growth (the same
technique for Canna )
It will be interesting to see if I get flowers before the first frosts.