Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John John is offline

Default Another water butt question

In article ,
(Roly) wrote:

Roly wrote:

Heaven knows what mangled my last message.

Translation follows :-

It sounds like there are loads of practical problems with
your circumstances, so instead of collecting rainwater, what about
collecting used bathwater instead ?

Take it from me: 'grey' water begins to smell badly even after short
storage. It needs to go on the garden right away.

I'll go further: even clean rain water (off the roof) smells: I had
this brilliant idea, a few months ago, of pumping rain barrel water into
our bath (for storage), so that I could use it to flush the bog. After a
day, I realised that this amount of clean rain water has a smell all its
own. It doesn't stink, but it's not that pleasant. Probably something
to do with what it picks up off the roof and the moss, etc., as it makes
its way to the barrel.

john