Old 01-08-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_2_] George[_2_] is offline

Default root vegetables: when to pick?

We have garlic, beets and radishes; some years, also turnips, sometimes
carrots. None ever seem to reach the full advertised size, but they do
grow. I'm never sure when to say they've done all the growing they're
going to do.

For garlic, I've read to wait until the tops "dry out". I dig them
after the stalks are all lying down, even though there's still some
green showing.

For the beets, etc, I pick them when the bulb has pushed about 1/2-way
up through the surface.

Comments appreciated.

TIA,
George